Madina. 16 Sections. 129 Verses.
Allah in the
name of the Most Affectionate, the Merciful.
1. This is declaration of disassociation from Allah and His
Messenger to those idolaters with whom you had entered into a
contract and they did not keep it.
2. Then go about in the land for four months and know that you can
not tire Allah and Allah is to humiliate the infidels.
3. And there is proclamation from Allah and His Messenger to all
People on the day of Great Pilgrimage that Allah is rid of the
polytheists and so His Messenger, if you then repent it is then good
for you, and if you turn you' face then know that you cannot tire
Allah. And give good tidings to infidels of a painful torment.
4. But those associators with whom you had covenanted they did not
detract anything in your Contract, and did not help any one against
you then fulfil their covenant till the promised day. Undoubtedly,
Allah loves the pious ones.
5. Then when the sacred months have passed, slay the associators
wherever you find them and catch them, and confine them and sit in
wait for them at every place; again if they repent and establish
prayer and give the poor-due then leave their way. Verily Allah is
6. And 'O beloved Prophet'. If any of the associators ask your
protection, then give him protection that he may hear the word of
Allah then convey him to his place of security. This is because they
are the people ignorant.
7. How there shall be any covenant for the associators with Allah
and His Messenger but those with whom you covenanted near the Sacred
Mosque! Then as long as they keep their covenant for you, you should
also stand for them. Undoubtedly, Allah loves the pious ones.
8. How (Can it be) their condition is this that if they prevail
against you, then neither they would care for relationship nor for
agreement. They please you with their mouths, and their hearts
refuse, and most of them are disobedient.
9. They have sold the Signs of Allah for a meagre price, and then
they barred from His path. Undoubtedly, they do evil deeds.
10. They neither have regard of relationship or agreement in any
Muslim. And they are the transgressors.
11. Again if they repent and establish prayer and pay the poor-due (Zakat)
then they are your brothers, in faith. And We explain the signs in
detail for a people who know.
12. If they break their oaths after their covenant, and taunt at
your religion, then fight with the leaders of infidelity.
Undoubtedly, their oaths are nothing. Haply they may desist.
13. Will you not fight with a people who have broken their oaths and
resolved to turn out the Messenger, although the beginning is from
them? Do you fear them? Linen Allah is Most Worthy that you should
fear Him if you believe (Him).
14. Then fight them, Allah will torment them at your hands and will
humiliate them and will help you against them, and will heal the
breasts of the believers.
15. And will remove the anger of their hearts, and Allah relent of
whomsoever He pleases, and Allah is Knowing, Wise.
16. Are you in this conception that you would be left alone, and
Allah has not yet made known those of you who will struggle and will
not take any one as a confident except Allah and His Messenger and
the muslims. Allah is Aware of what you do?
17. It is not for the associators that they should inhabit the
mosque of Allah, bearing witnesses of infidelity against themselves.
Their entire works are destroyed, and they shall abide in the Fire.
18. They only inhabit the mosques of Allah who believe in Allah and
the Last Day and establish prayer and pay the poor-due (Zakat) and
fear none but Allah, therefore it is near that these people may be
among the guided ones.
19. Then do you hold the offering of water to the pilgrims and
service of the Sacred Mosque equal to one who believed in Allah and
the Last Day and struggled in the path of Allah? They are not equal
in the sight of Allah, And Allah guides not the unjust people.
20. Those who believed and emigrated and fought with their wealth
and lives in the path of Allah have the highest rank near Allah. And
they are they who reached to their goal.
21. Their Lord does give them glad tidings of His Mercy and of His
Pleasure and of those gardens wherein there is lasting bliss for
22. They will abide there in forever. Undoubtedly, there is great
reward with Allah.
23. 'O Believers! Take not your fathers and brothers for friends, if
they prefer infidelity over faith. And who so of you will be-friend
them, then they are they who are unjust.
24. Say you 'If your fathers, and your sons and your brothers and
your wives and your clan and the wealth of your earning and the
trade of which you fear loss and the houses of your choice, these
things are dearer to you than Allah and His Messenger and the
struggling in His path, then wait till Allah brings His Command. And
Allah guides not the disobedients.
25. Undoubtedly, Allah did help you at many places and on the day of
Hunain when you had boasted on your multitude, it availed you
nothing, and the land being so vast, became straitened to you, then
you turned your backs retreating
26. Then Allah sent down His Calm upon His Messenger and upon
Muslims, and He sent down the hosts that you did not see and
chastised the infidels. And this is the punishment of the rejecters.
27. Thereafter Allah will relent whom He pleases. And Allah is
28. 'O believers! The associators are altogether unclean, then let
them not approach the sacred Mosque after this year. And if you fear
poverty, then soon Allah shall enrich you of His bounty if He
pleases. Verily, Allah is Knowing, Wise.
29. Fight those who believe not in Allah, and in the Last Day, and
accept not as unlawful what Allah and His messenger made unlawful,
and follow not the true faith that is to say those who were Coven
the Book until they pay the required tax with their own hands being
30. And the Jews, said, "Uzair is the son of Allah" and the
Christians said 'Masih (Christ) is the son of Allah' These things,
they utter with their mouths. They imitate the sayings of the
infidels before them. Allah assail them, whither they are
31. They have taken their priests and monks as gods besides Allah
and also Masih son of Maryam; and they were Commanded not but this
that that they worship only one Allah; none is to be worshipped
except He. Hallowed be He from their polytheism.
32. They wish to put off the light of Allah with their mouths and
Allah will not agree but to perfect His light, though the infidels
may dislike it.
33. It is He who has sent His Messenger with guidance and true
religion that He may make it prevail over all religions, though the
infidels may dislike it.
34. 'O believers! Verily many of the priests and monks devour the
wealth of the people wrongfully and bar from the path of Allah. And
those who hoard up gold and silver and spend not in the path of
Allah give them the good tidings of a painful torment.
35. The day when they shall be heated in the fire of the Hell, then
their foreheads and sides and backs shall be branded therewith. This
is what you had hoarded for yourselves, now taste the hoarding.
36. Undoubtedly, the number of months with Allah is twelve in the
Book of Allah since the day He made the Heavens and Earth four of
them are sacred. This is the right religion, then wrong not
yourselves in these months, and fight the infidels at all times, as
they fight with you, all times And know that Allah is with the pious
37. Their postponement of the months are not but an increase in
infidelity, with which the infidels are misguided, they make it
lawful one year and hold it unlawful another year, that they may
make up the number which Allah has sanctified, and make lawful what
Allah has forbidden. Their vile deeds seem fair in their eyes and
Allah guides not the infidel
38. 'O Believers! What happened to you, that when it is said to you,
'Go forth in the way of Allah, you sit down on the earth heavily'?
Have you chosen the life of this work in preference to the
Hereafter? And the goods of the living worlds in comparison with
that of the Hereafter is nothing but little.
39. If you will not march forth, He will punish you with a severe
punishment and will replace you by another people, and you can do no
harm to Him. And Allah can do every thing
40. If you help him (The beloved Prophet) not, then no doubt, Allah
helped him, when on account of the mischief of the infidels, he was
to go out with only two souls, when they both were in the Cave, and
when he said to his companion 'Grieve not, no doubt Allah is with
us', then Allah sent down His satisfaction on him, and helped him
with armies which you did not see, and put down the words of the
infidels. It is the word of Allah, alone which is supreme, and Allah
is Dominant, Wise.
41. March forth with light soul, or with heavy heart and struggle in
the way of Allah with your wealth and lives. It is better for you,
if you know.
42. If there had been any near gain, or an average journey, then
they would have certainly gone with you, but the hard journey seemed
too long to them, and now they will swear by Allah, that if we had
been able, then we would have surely gone with you. They ruin their
souls, and Allah knows that undoubtedly, they are necessarily liars.
43. Allah forgive you, why did you then permit them, till the true
one had not become manifest to you and the liars had not become
44. And those who would believe in Allah and the Last Day would not
ask leave of you from struggling with their wealth and their lives.
And Allah knows well the duty-bound.
45. Those only ask you this leave who do not believe in Allah and
the Last Day and their hearts are in doubts, then in their doubts
46. Had they willed to go forth, they would have made some
preparation for it; but God disliked their rousing, so He made them
lethargic, and it was said to them 'remain sitting with those who
47. If they would have come out among you, they would have added you
nothing except trouble and would have run to and from in your midst
seeking to cause sedition among you, and there are among you, their
spies. And Allah Knows well the unjust.
48. No doubt, they already sought to create disorder before, and
turned the plans upside down for you O' Beloved! Till the truth came
and Allah's command appeared.
49. And any one among them submits before you like this, 'Give me
leave, and put me not in trial', Listen, they have already fallen
into trial. And undoubtedly, the hell has surrounded the infidels.
50. If good befalls you, then it hurts them, and if any misfortune
comes to you, then they say 'We had already set right our works
before, and turn back rejoicing.
51. Say you 'nothing shall reach us, but what Allah has ordained for
us. He is our Protector, and the Muslims should keep trust in Allah
52. Say you, 'What you are waiting for us but one of the two goods'
? And we are waiting for you that Allah shall afflict you with a
torment from Himself, or with our hands. Now wait then, we are also
waiting with you'.
53. Say you, 'Spend willingly or unwillingly, it shall not be
accepted from you. No doubt, you are a people disobedient.
54. And what they spend. Its acceptance was not barred. But because
they rejected Allah and His Messenger and come not to prayers but
lazily, and spend not but unwillingly
55. Then let not their wealth and their children astonish you. Allah
only intends to punish them with these things in the life of the
world and that their souls may depart while they are infidels.
56. They swear by Allah that they are from amongst you and they are
not from amongst you, yes they are afraid.
57. If they find a place of refuge, or cave or a place to creep
into, they will turn there to rushing headlong.
58. And of them, some one is he who blames you with regard to the
distribution of charities, then if they get some thing of these,
they are pleased, and if they get not, then they are angry.
59. What a good it had been, if they would have been pleased with
what Allah and His Messenger had given them and would have said
'Sufficient for us is Allah', Now Allah is to give us of His Bounty,
and so the Messenger of Allah. To Allah only we lean.
60. The poor-due (Zakat) is only for those who are poor and needy
and those who collect it, and for those whose hearts are to be
conciliated for Islam, and for the freeing of slaves, and for
debtors, and for spending in the way of Allah and for the traveller.
This has been ordained by Allah. And Allah is Knowing, Wise.
61. And of them some are those who hurt the Prophet and say, 'He is
an ear, say 'He is an ear for good of you, believes in Allah and
believes the words of Muslims, and is a mercy for those who are
Muslims among you.' And those who hurt the Messenger, for them is
the painful torment.
62. They swear by Allah before you may be pleased and Allah and His
Messenger had greater right, that they should please him, if they
63. Are they not aware that whoso opposes Allah and His Messengers
then for him is the fire of the Hell in which he will abide for
ever? This is the great humiliation
64. The hypocrites fear lest a Surah (Chapter) should be sent down
to them informing them, what is in their hearts. Say you 'Mock on,
truly Allah is about to reveal what you fear.'
65. And O' beloved Prophet! If you ask to them, they will say 'We
were only jesting and playing'. Say you; 'Do you mock at Allah and
His signs and His Messengers?'
66. Make no excuses, you have already become disbeliveers after
being muslims. If We forgive some one of you, then We shall chastise
others because they were guilty.
67. The hypocrites' men and women are the birds of the same feather;
they bid evil and forbid from doing good, and (they) keep their
hands closed. They have left Allah then Allah has left them. No
doubt the hypocrites are the confirmed disobedients.
68. Allah has promised the hypocrites men and hypocrites' women and
infidels, the fire of the Hell, wherein they will abide forever.
That is sufficient for them, and the curse of Allah is upon them,
and for them is the lasting torment.
69. As those before you, they were mightier than you in strength,
and more abundant in wealth and children. They enjoyed their share
then you enjoy your share just as those before you enjoyed their
share, and you indulged ingesting just as they indulged. Their works
are wasted in the world and the Hereafter, and they are the people
who are losers.
70. Have they not received the news of those before them the people
of Nooh, and Aad and Thamud, and the people of Ibrahim, and the men
of Madian and the overthrown towns? Their Messengers had brought to
them bright evidences; then it was not befitting to Allah that He
might have wronged them, but they were themselves unjust to their
71. And the Muslim men and women are friends to one another, bid for
good and forbid evil and establish prayer and pay the poor-due
(Zakat) and obey Allah and His Messenger. These are they on whom
soon Allah will have mercy. Undoubtedly Allah is, Dominant, Wise.
72. Allah has promised to Muslim men and Muslim women Gardens under
which rivers flow, wherein they shall reside forever and clean
houses in the inhabitable gardens. And the pleasure of Allah is the
greatest. This is the achievement of the greater Goal.
73. O Communicator of the hidden news, (Prophet) fight against the
infidels and the hypocrites and be strict to them Their destination
is Hell and what an evil place of return.
74. They swear by Allah that they said it not, and no doubt,
necessarily they uttered the word of infidelity and became infidels
after accepting Islam and they had desired that Which they could not
get; and what they felt bad, only this that Allah and His Messenger
has enriched them out of His grace; then if they repent, it is good
for them, and if they turn their faces then Allah will chastise them
with a severe torment in the world and the Hereafter and on the
earth they shall have neither any supporter nor any helper.
75. And of them, there are some who had covenanted with Allah that
if He will give us out of His grace then we shall surely give in
charity and we shall surely become good men.
76. Then when Allah gave them out of His grace, they became
niggardly of it and turned away turning their faces.
77. Therefore after it Allah put hypocrisy in their hearts, until
the Day they meet Him -the recompense of that they acted against
what they had promised to Allah and the recompense of that they used
78. Are they not aware that Allah Knows the secrets of their hearts
and their whisper and Allah is the well Knower of all hidden things?
79. Those who blame those muslims who give charity willingly and
those who get not but with their hard labour, so they laugh at them.
Allah will punish them for their laughing and for them is the
80. Ask you forgiveness for them or ask not. If you will ask
forgiveness for them seventy times, Allah will never forgive them.
This is because that they have rejected Allah and His Messenger. And
Allah guides not the disobedients.
81. Those who were left behind delighted at this that they remained
sitting behind the Messenger and they did not like that they may
fight in the way of Allah with their wealth and lives and said Come
not out in this treat' say you 'the fire of the Hell is the hottest!
In any manner they would have understood!
82. Let them laugh little and weep much, in recompense what they
used to earn.
83. Then if, O beloved Prophet! Allah returns you to a party of
them, and they ask you leave to go forth to fight, then say you
'Never shall you march forth with me, nor ever fight with any enemy
of me. You chose to sit at home the first time, then remain sitting
with those who remained behind.'
84. And pray you never over any of their dead, and not stand over
his grave. No doubt, they rejected Allah and His Messenger and died
while they were disobedient.
85. Be not astonished over their wealth and children Allah only
intends to punish them there with in this world, and that they part
with their souls while they are infidels.
86. And when any Sura (Chapter) is sent down, that believe in Allah
and fight with His Messenger, then the men of capability among them
ask leave of you and say 'Leave us to remain with those who sit
87. They like that they should remain with the women left behind,
and their hearts are sealed up, so that they understand nothing.
88. But the Messenger and those who believed with him, fought with
their wealth and lives. And it is they for whom are goods, and it is
they who reached to their goal.
89. Allah has prepared for them Gardens under which rivers flow;
they shall abide forever therein. This is the attainment of supreme
90. And there came excuse seekers from the villagers in order that
leave may be given to them, and those who lied to Allah and His
Messenger sat behind. Soon a painful torment shall befall to the
infidels of them.
91. There is not any fault on the weak, and on the sick and nor on
those who are not capable to spend, when they are sincere to Allah
and His Messenger. There is no way against the good-doers. And Allah
is Forgiving, Merciful.
92 Nor on those who came to you that you may provide carriage to
them, you said have nothing whereon to mount you' so they return
back and their eyes overflow with tears because of this grief that
they could not find the ability to spend.
93. The accountability is only of those who ask leave of you and
they are rich. They liked to sit behind with the women and Allah has
sealed up their hearts; so they know nothing.
94. They will make excuses to you when you will return to them. Say
you, 'make no ' excuses, we will never believe you, Allah has
already given your news to us. And now Allah and His messenger will
see your works then you will be returned to Him Who knows all unseen
and visible, He will tell you what you used to do.
95. Now they will swear by Allah before you, when you will return
back to them in order that you may not mind of them, then yes, mind
them not. They are wholly filthy and their destination is Hell a
recompense what they used to earn.
96. They swear before you that you may be pleased with them. But if
you are pleased with them, then no doubt, Allah will not be pleased
with a people dis-obedient.
97. They villagers are more stubborn in infidelity and hypocrisy and
they are only worthy of this that they remain ignorant of the
commands which, Allah has sent down upon His messenger. And Allah is
98. And among the villagers some are those who regard hat they spend
in the way of Allah as fine, and remain waiting of misfortunes
coming to you. On them is the evil turn. And Allah Hears. Knows.
99. And among the villagers some are those who believe in Allah and
the Last Day, and regard what they spend as ' approaches to Allah
and means of taking blessings of the messenger. Yes, that is the
means of nearness for them to enter into His mercy. Undoubtedly!
Allah is Forgiving, Merciful,
100. And the first and foremost emigrants and helpers and those who
followed them with good. Allah is pleased with them and they are
pleased with Allah and for them, He has prepared gardens under which
rivers flow. This is the great success.
101. And some villagers around you are hypocrites and some of the
dwellers of Madina too, hypocrisy has become their habit. You know
them not. We know them. We will soon torment them twice. Then they
will be resumed to a great torment.
102 And there are some others who acknowledge their sins and mixed
up a good deed with another evil. It is near that Allah may accept
their repentance. No doubt Allah is Forgiving. Merciful.
103. O beloved prophet! Realise the poor-due (Zakat) out of their
wealth. to purify them and cleanse them therewith and pray good for
them. No doubt. your prayer is solace for their hearts. And Allah
104. Are they not aware that only Allah accepts the repentance of
His bondmen and takes the charities in His authoritative Hand
Himself, and that it is Allah Who is the Relenting. The Merciful.
105. And say you. 'work on, now Allah will behold your work and so
His messenger and the muslims. And you will soon be returned to Him
Who knows all unseen and visible. Then He will inform you what you
used to do.
106. And some other have been deferred to Allah's commandment.
Whether He may torment them or may accept their repentance. And
Allah is Knowing Wise
107. And those who have built a mosque in order to injure and
because of infidelity and to cause dissension among muslims and as
an ambush for him who is already against Allah and His messenger
from before. And they will surely swear that we desired only good.
And Allah bears witness that they are certainly liars.
108. You stand never in that mosque. No doubt the mosque whose
foundation has been laid on righteousness from the very first day is
worthy that you may stand therein. There in are those who desire to
be well purified and Allah loves the pure.
109. Then is he who laid foundation upon the fear of Allah and His
pleasure better or he who laid his foundation on the brink of a
falling pit, then he fell with it in the fire of the Hell? And Allah
does not give way to the people unjust.
110. The building, which they have built, will continue to waver in
their hearts unless their hearts may cut into pieces. And Allah is
111. No doubt. Allah has purchased from the muslims their lives and
their belongings against this return, that for them is Paradise,
they fight in the way of Allah, then they kill and are killed; true
promise on His generous responsibility in the Taurah and the Injeel
and the Quran. And who is, true to his words than Allah'? Rejoice
then in your trade ' which you have done with Him And it is this
which is, the great triumph.
112. Those who repent, those who worship, those who praise, those
who fast, those who bow, those who prostrate, those who tell good
and forbid evil and those who watch the limits of Allah. And give
you glad tidings to Muslims.
113. It is not worthy for the prophet and the believers to ask
forgiveness for the associators, even though they are relatives,
after it has been made clear to them that they are men of Hell.
114. And Abraham's asking forgiveness for his father was not but on
account a promise, he had made to Him But when it was made clear to
him that he is an enemy of Allah, he dis-associated him self from
him No doubt, Abraham is a most lament, clement.
115. And it is not the attribute of Allah that He should lead astray
any people after He has guided them. Until He makes clear to them as
to what they have to guard against. Undoubtedly, Allah knows every
116. Assuredly! It is Allah for Whom is the Kingdom of heavens and
earth. He gives life and causes death. And you had no protector nor
helper beside Allah.
117. No doubt, blessings of Allah turned towards the Communicator of
the hidden news (prophet) and those emigrants and helpers who sided
with him in the hour of hardship. After it that the hearts of some
of them were nearly to be swerved aside. Then He turned towards them
with blessing. Undoubtedly. To them He is Most Kind. Merciful.
118. And to the three who were left behind, so much so that the
earth being so vast became strait to them, and they became tired of
their own lives, and they believed that there is no refuge from
Allah but with Him. Then, He accepted their repentance that they
might remain repenting. Undoubtedly, it is Allah Who is Relenting,
119. O believers! Fear Allah and be with the truthful.
120. It was not proper for the inhabitants of Madina and the
villagers around them to remain sitting behind the messenger of
Allah, nor that they should consider their own lives more dear than
his life. This is so because whatever they face as thirst or
distress or hunger in the way of Allah, and wherever they tread a
place which enrages the infidels for all these things, good deed is
written for them. Assuredly Allah wastes not the reward of the good.
121. And whatever they spend, small or great and the valley they
cross, all is written for them so that Allah may recompense them for
their best deeds.
122. And it is not possible for Muslims that all should come out.
Then why should not a party from each group should come out that
they may gain understanding of religion and warn their people after
coming back to them, haply they may guard themselves.
123. O believers' fight the infidels who are close to you, and let
them find in you harshness and know that Allah is with the
124. Whenever a Sura is sent down. Then anyone of them begins to
say, 'Which of you has this increased in faith? Then as for those
who believe, it has increased them in faith. And they are rejoicing.
125. And as for those in whose hearts there is disease, it has
increased them in filthiness upon filthiness and they died while
they are infidels.
126. Do they not observe that? They are being tried every year once
or twice. Even then neither they repent nor accept admonition.
127. And whenever any Sura is sent down, they begin to look at on
each other. Whether any one watches you? Then they turn away. Allah
has turned away their hearts, because they are a people who do not
128. Assuredly there has come to you a messenger from among
yourselves, heavy upon him is your suffering; ardently desirous of
your welfare, and to Muslims is most Kind and Merciful.
129. If then they turn their faces, then say you, 'Allah is
sufficient for me, none is to be worshiped except He. I put my trust
in Him, and He is the 'Lord of Supreme Throne.'